wbb_greenwell2_chris

Rebecca Greenwell lifted the scoring burden from Lexie Brown this week and scored 21 points in both ...

Duke women's basketball player of the week: Week 13

Rebecca Greenwell

The statline:

Thursday vs. Clemson: 21 points on 8-of-13 shooting, four rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal

Sunday vs. Virginia: 21 points on 7-of-10 shooting, six rebounds, two assists and three steals

The good: Greenwell has been a reliable presence on the offensive side of the ball for most of the season, and this past week was no exception. The redshirt junior guard scored 21 points in back-to-back games in an efficient manner, shooting 65.2 percent from the field through the two contests. She also shot 6-of-10 from behind the arc and made six of her seven free-throw attempts, helping Duke record two easy wins against Clemson and Virginia.

The bad: Greenwell had four turnovers through her past two games and only three assists. The 6-foot-1 guard's assist-to-turnover ratio on the year is still worse than 1.0, and she will need to work on distributing and handling the ball better on the perimeter.

The bottom line: Greenwell has established herself as dangerous option and a solid sidekick to backcourt partner Lexie Brown, who still has the ability to take over a game at any point. Greenwell has established herself as a defensively sound and offensively gifted player for head coach Joanne P. McCallie’s squad as the Blue Devils enter the final stretch of their regular season.

Honorable mention: Although Brown was a secondary scoring option during the past week, she served as the facilitator in Duke’s offense that Greenwell struggled to be. The 5-foot-9 guard scored 17 points on 7-of-11 shooting Thursday and 13 points on 5-of-9 shooting Sunday, and she ran the Blue Devils’ offense effectively, recording nine assists through the two contests.