Buses have skidded as they shuttle students and faculty between campuses. This bus appeared to be stuck outside of the Sarah P. Duke Gardens.
Elysia Su / The Chronicle
This article was updated 5:12 p.m. when the buses were suspended.

Several bus routes and all van services shut down at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday due to the ongoing winter storm. There is no notice on when they will become active again.

The C route buses and van services stopped running due to the worsening road conditions. The LaSalle Loop line and H Routes will continue to run. Vice President for Administrations Kyle Cavanaugh said there were reports throughout the day of buses skidding on campus due to the snow, though no bus accidents have been reported.

Cavanaugh noted that it is important to keep the hospital routes opening for employees so that they can access their vehicles. The H Routes and LaSalle Loop primarily serve those accessing Duke Hospital.

"The biggest thing that we are trying to do is to run them...especially for our hospital and clinic-based employees...that need to get into lots for their vehicles," Cavanaugh said. "Probably in the near future we will shut them down."

Chief of Duke Police John Dailey added that there have been two minor fender benders on campus, as well. He added that there is major traffic in the Triangle area due to the weather.

DATA stopped running buses at 4 p.m. and Triangle Transit stopped running buses at 5 p.m.

Elysia Su / The Chronicle

"Students thinking of driving to Chapel Hill right now should know the roads are packed with cars—it's like gridlock in the community," Dailey said.

Senior Angela Woods started driving back to campus from her job in Research Triangle Park at around 1 p.m. Wednesday. The commute—normally 20 minutes—took her three hours. She said the road was covered with snow, and cars were either stopped or moving at less than five miles per hour.

Woods said she was scared when some people were having to push their cars on her highway exit.

"I don't think Durham was prepared for this much snow," said Woods, who said her hometown in northern Kentucky experiences heavy snow but knows how to handle it. "I was thinking, 'I don't want to sleep on the interstate.'"

Students should also be aware that freezing rain is supposed to begin tonight, which can cause branches to break, Dailey added.

There are so many accidents throughout Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill that police said they will only respond to more serious ones, according to The News and Observer. Motorists involved in minors accidents are urged to exchange information and report the incident later.

Additionally, nearly all flights are cancelled at Raleigh-Durham International Airport.