The University chose Bill Boulding to continue as dean of the Fuqua School of Business. He stepped in two years ago when former Dean Blair Sheppard stepped down.
Photo Courtesy of Duke University

Bill Boulding is continuing as dean of the Fuqua School of Business, the University announced Tuesday in a Duke news release.

Boulding assumed the position after former Fuqua Dean Blair Sheppard left his position in early August 2011. The search committee chaired by finance professor David Robinson conducted an international search, culminating in a list of candidates submitted to Brodhead and Lange for the final decision. Boulding will begin his full term this August.

After Sheppard left his position in summer 2011, Boulding assumed the role for a shortened two-year term with the understanding that University would conduct an international dean search in his second year, The Chronicle previously reported.

An expert on marketing and management, Boulding has expanded programs both at Duke and at campuses abroad in China, India and the United Arab Emirates, among other countries. He aims to address globalization with more innovation and modernization in classrooms, while also focusing on stabilizing the school’s budget, Lange noted.

“I am enormously pleased that the search committee has recommended Bill to us for a full term as dean,” Lange said in a statement. “He is an outstanding scholar and teacher who has also accomplished much for Fuqua over the past 18 months. In that time, he has also traveled extensively to increase the breadth and depth of connections with Fuqua’s growing and globally dispersed alumni network.”

The Financial Times called Boulding “a Fuqua man through and through,” and he has received many teaching awards, including the Bank of America Award, Fuqua’s highest faculty award.

“Bill Boulding combines powerful idealism about what business schools can do for the world with immense practical skill in executing toward these goals,” Brodhead said. “A great teacher and community builder, he is ideally suited to lead the Fuqua School in addressing the leadership needs of a changing world.”

Robinson said the committee’s recommendation to appoint Boulding to a full term followed a thorough search, with Boulding demonstrating the best set of qualifications.

“We considered over 100 candidates from all over the globe,” Robinson said. “We saw many people with strong academic leadership skills, with strong international management skills, with strong fundraising skills. But finding all these skills in a single candidate is challenging. That’s why we’re so pleased to have Bill Boulding as our next dean. He has the whole package, plus he knows Fuqua and Duke intimately.”

Boulding said he is honored and privileged to receive this prominent role in the Fuqua and Duke community.

“In this incredible community there is a genuine sense of purpose to make a difference in the lives of others by generating the insights and producing the leaders of consequence the world so badly needs.”