Drew Everson

A memorial service remembering senior Drew Everson will be held in the Duke Chapel at noon today.

Everson died Oct. 23 after an accidental fall the previous day left him with two collapsed lungs and head injuries. He will be honored at both the memorial service and at a reception following the service in the Scharf Commons, which is next to Cameron Indoor Stadium. Both the memorial and reception are open to the public.

At the memorial, three of Everson’s friends plan to offer tributes, and two other friends will read from scripture. President Richard Brodhead and Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost for undergraduate education, will also make remarks at the memorial. Dean of the Chapel Sam Wells will preside over the service.

Family members and close friends will also present certain mementos from Everson’s life. Members of Everson’s fraternity, Pi Kappa Phi, will sing a song to honor Everson, and a vocalist and a cellist will perform.

“I am sure there will be a very good showing [Wednesday],” said Associate Dean of Students Todd Adams.

The Chronicle’s editorial pages today feature letters submitted from Everson’s friends and family members. Additional letters have been published online. Everson was a columnist for The Chronicle during his sophomore year, and his final column is also published on the editorial pages.

In a letter submitted to The Chronicle, members of Everson’s family described him as “truly a Renaissance man with passionate interests spanning sports, comedy, politics, public speaking, writing, finance, film and fashion.”

A member of the Duke Debate Team, Everson also coached student members of the East Chapel Hill High School debate team and was a four-year member of his high school debate team at Mauldin High School in Greenville, S.C.

Everson was also a “true Cameron Crazy” who became a line monitor and attended the 2010 Final Four to witness the men’s basketball team win the national championship.

He was involved in many other student organizations, including the Inside Joke comedy troupe, Campus Council and other campus committees.

In addition to his heavy involvement on campus, Everson achieved a 3.8 GPA. He spent the last summer in New York interning with Goldman Sachs and was deciding between job offers at the time of his death.

The Everson family added that “Drew’s final departing gift” was his status as an organ donor.

“A piece of him will live on in many others who are desperately clinging to life,” the family wrote.

Editor’s note: Following today’s service, The Chronicle will write an obituary honoring Drew’s memory. Our thoughts are with Drew’s family and friends.