New dean to bring more than female leadership

Being the second-ever woman to be named dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences is only one quality that sets Laurie Patton apart from her predecessors.

Patton, Charles Howard Candler professor of religions at Emory University, has extensively researched ritual and the role of women in ancient and modern India. She believes her work, coupled with an interest in female leadership in higher education, will help her provide unique insight and be an innovative administrator.

“While gender is a crucial part of the puzzle, it is only part of the puzzle,” Patton wrote in an e-mail Tuesday. “I hope that I can be nimble in responding to the changing demographics and emerging definitions of identity that every new year in higher education brings.”

Patton believes she will also be an effective player as Duke increases its international presence. Studying religion has taught her how to “translate between cultural worlds,” she said. It has also taught her how to critique and understand globalization, which will help Duke to develop international partnerships.

Along with her academic background, Patton also said she has a passion for interdisciplinary collaboration, a sense of intellectualism and a love for undergraduate education. In order for Duke to continue to grow, she believes leaders from every discipline must work together whenever possible. In her experience as a scholar, she has found that the best administrators show “intellectual curiosity about how fields work and how they fit together in the university.”

Suzanne Shanahan, associate director for the Kenan Institute for Ethics and member of the search committee that recommended Patton for the job, said she is delighted to see a female filling this post but would have selected Patton regardless of gender. The last female dean was Ernestine Friedl, who served as dean of Trinity College and faculty of Arts and Sciences from 1980 to 1985.

“She could be an android from Pluto, and she’s still the best person for this job, full stop,” Shanahan said. “Yet I’m thrilled to bits that she’s a woman taking on this job. Both for women students and faculty in Arts and Sciences, to have a woman leader is a great thing after so many years of not having one.”

Steve Nowicki, dean and vice provost of undergraduate education, immediately knew Patton was a “terrific candidate” for the position after meeting her, and said he is excited to work with a female dean. He added, though, that he does not necessarily believe it will change the character of the position.

“In my career, I’ve worked with a lot of women as leaders,” Nowicki said. “How that might change the operation of her office is hard to say, but I think it’s good to have that dimension and perspective, and I embrace it.”

President Richard Brodhead and Provost Peter Lange announced Patton’s appointment last Wednesday. Patton will replace Alvin Crumbliss, who was selected as interim dean of Trinity College and dean of the faculty of Arts and Sciences in May after George McLendon stepped down to become provost of Rice University. Patton will formally assume responsibilities July 1, concurrent with planning for academic year 2011-2012.

Gary Laderman, chair of the religion department at Emory and long-time colleague of Patton, said she embodies her own definition of an educational leader. Patton has held several diverse leadership roles at Emory, including her current role as director of Faculty Development and Excellence, chair of Emory’s religion department from 2000 to 2007 and founder and co-convenor of the Religions and the Human Spirit Strategic Plan.

“She’s a great leader. She’s a team leader, she works well with people, she has a strong sense of collaboration that stretches way beyond the humanities,” Laderman said. “She’s got a lot of energy and can make a lot of things happen.”

Nowicki expects Patton’s enthusiasm for interdepartmental teamwork to benefit Duke as it strives to promote the liberal arts outside of Trinity College.

“I think the fact that Laurie is already committed to interdisciplinarity is terrific,” Nowicki said. “I would expect her to continue to accelerate the development of an interdisciplinary approach to the liberal arts.”

Share and discuss “New dean to bring more than female leadership” on social media.