Kenan asks: What is good art?

Unlike typical visual art exhibitions at Duke, the 15 works presented in the Kenan Institute for Ethics’ student-run exhibition What is Good Art? set out to confront the ethical questions that arise from the works rather than their technical qualities. The exhibition, which opens next Monday in the West Duke building, aims to initiate dialogue specific to contemporary social, cultural and political issues within an ethical framework.

“Art is this rich way of thinking and talking about ethics that is accessible,” Kenan Student Programs Coordinator Christian Ferney said. “I think most people understand how fascinating ethics is. It’s one of those things that seems a bit daunting and pious, but it’s really about complexity and difficult choices. Art is a good way to see that tension and the pieces this year best convey [this tension].”

Every year Team Kenan, a student group that works to highlight ethical issues in everyday student life, hosts the competition, requesting submissions of visual artworks that evoke controversial questions. First, second, third and gallery prizes are selected by a panel of judges, all of whom are experts in art and/or ethics.

“From an artist’s point of view, we talk about technique, method and concepts. But having a competition from another discipline is a nice way to see what art can be on campus,” said Bill Fick, Visiting Assistant Professor of the Practice of Visual Arts and judge. “It’s good to explore these things because people think it’s not possible.”

The judging process, which occurs within a two to three hour long conversation, takes into account the work’s visual acumen, statement and accordance with theme.

“It’s partly like opening a birthday present when we get to look at the submissions as a whole. There’s always a substantial diversity and we don’t know what are going to be the winners of the show,” Ferney said.

The idea for the competition began in 2009 as a way to engage the student body with ethical concepts. When Team Kenan noted the positive reception that the competition and eventual exhibition received that spring, they decided the exhibition should be moved out of a secluded area like the Fredric Jameson gallery and into a more frequented space.

“What is Good Art? provides students [the opportunity to] showcase their work outside at a more conventional place. A good place for that would be on their way to class,” Ferney said of the exhibition’s location in West Duke.

Although different disciplines consider ethics a fundamental piece of their studies, questions and conversations regarding ethics typically arise more in humanities and philosophy courses than the natural sciences or mathematics. What is Good Art? provides an avenue for students of all disciplines to include ethics in everyday conversation.

“I think we’re in need of more questioning here at Duke,” junior Sarah Bartleson, a Team Kenan member and What is Good Art? project leader, said. “You can be a Bio major and get a degree and never think about the implications for the research you’re doing in the way that the public would engage in it. Let’s just say, there are interesting conversations that we aren’t always having that should be had.”

As the competition gained followers and a greater reputation, Team Kenan also began developing themes for students to consider before submitting their works. This year’s theme, “How much truth can art bear?” is inspired by the writings of French philosopher Alain Badiou. As narrow and focused as the theme appears, Team Kenan assures that it opens up the opportunity for a variety of submissions.

“There is by no means just one meaning that you apply to a piece of work. The theme is the first step in guiding people a little bit,”said Rae Dong, 2011 alum and former Team Kenan member who was first to suggest the inquiry into the relationship between truth and art.

Bartleson agreed that the theme is accessible to all students.

“A lot of what we do is keep things very open-ended. There are so many different ways to interpret this question even though it may be difficult to answer,” she said.

Freshman art major and Team Kenan member Niki Yogeshwarun was intrigued by the competition’s theme. Although she mostly draws and paints, she decided to submit a video called “Flaw.”

“I don’t think the point of ethical art is necessarily to be beautiful, but to ask questions and challenge perceptions. I think art should do that in general,” Yogeshwarun said.

What is Good Art? will be presented in the hallways of first floor West Duke from April 9 to May 14.

Share and discuss “Kenan asks: What is good art?” on social media.