SPORTS  |  SOCCER

Duke women's soccer shuts out N.C. State

Laura Weinberg kept up her goal-per-game pace for Duke, putting one home in the second half to put the Blue Devils up 2-0.

A big crowd did not faze the No. 5 Blue Devils Thursday, as the team knocked off N.C. State 3-0 for its third straight win in ACC play.

Although Duke (11-3-1, 5-2-1 in the ACC) had little trouble on either end of the field, the team struggled more than expected against a weak Wolfpack (5-10, 0-6) squad that has scored just one goal in its last six matchups. The slow start that has characterized many of the Blue Devils’ games this season lasted nearly an entire half.

“I don’t think we were really as sharp as we have been in the last couple of games,” head coach Robbie Church said. “We played a lot of straight balls and we didn’t have a lot of off-ball movement. It was a tough first half.”

Despite Duke’s early struggles, it had a number of chances to score early in the game. Duke’s offense picked up late in the first half, as Kaitlyn Kerr, Cassie Pecht, Kim DeCesare and Mollie Pathman controlled the midfield, lofting balls behind the Wolfpack defense. Give-and-go sequencess, quick touches and wide balls started to create chances, with a number of Blue Devils taking shots inside the 18-yard box.

Duke finally found the net in the 37th minute. Off a quick touch from Kerr, Pecht collected the ball and found Pathman with a wide ball. On a return pass, the talented freshman had enough time to take a touch in the box and put away the game’s first goal.

The Blue Devils played more confidently in the second half, though N.C. State refused to back down. The match got chippy at times, with both sides fighting for the ball. Once again, Duke broke through late in the half with a flick from DeCesare. Junior Laura Weinberg found the ball in space, striding past two defenders and finishing at a tough angle to give the Blue Devils a 2-0 lead.

Duke struck once more with just six minutes remaining in the game. A high cross bounced around the box and was gathered by sophomore Katie Trees, who placed the ball just inside the far post for a 3-0 win.

Despite a performance Church was not satisfied with, Duke was glad to come out with a victory as it prepares for its final two ACC contests. A bright spot for the Blue Devils was the play of its back four, who held N.C. State to just two shots on goal. Goalkeeper Tara Campbell recorded her 30th career shutout in the victory. Duke’s defensive unit will need to continue its strong play in upcoming matchups against No. 12 Wake Forest and No. 7 North Carolina.

“We got the three points that we wanted,” Church said. “Anytime you get a road win in the ACC, we’ll take it. And a shutout to go with it, that’s a great night.”

Share and discuss “Duke women's soccer shuts out N.C. State” on social media.