Duke National Signing Day 2013: Backs and Receivers

Duke added four wide receivers and one running back in its 2013 recruiting class. Here are profiles of those five players:

Joseph Ajeigbe
Running back
Norco, Calif.
5’9”, 190 lbs.

Joseph Ajeigbe is not a prototypical big back, but knows how to run with some power. Despite his lack of height, Ajeigbe had most of his success running between the tackles during his four-year career at Norco High School. He averaged 8.5 yards per carry and ran for 1,505 yards and 14 touchdowns during his senior season, which was a drop in production from his 20-touchdown performance during his junior year. Ajeigbe committed to Duke last August and held additional scholarship offers from Arizona, Arizona State and Northwestern. —Daniel Carp

NATIONAL SIGNING DAY: Get all your Duke recruiting info including profiles of every player in the 2013 class and features

Terrence Alls
Wide receiver
Hialeah, Fla.
6’0”, 162 lbs.

Terrence Alls excelled thanks to his route running ability and field vision at Dade Christian, where he reeled in 35 passes during his senior season and was also a threat in the return game. Alls does not possess breakaway speed, but his patience allows him to see running lanes as they develop after the catch, which is a sign of maturity for the young receiver. He also has no problem catching the ball in traffic over the middle, which leads you to believe that could one day turn into a reliable possession option for head coach David Cutcliffe. But for that to happen, Alls will likely need to put some size on his 162-pound frame in the offseason before he has the physical tools to compete at the Division I level. The consensus three-star prospect turned down a slew of offers when he committed to Duke last August, including Big East co-champion Cincinnati, SEC schools like Mississippi, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt, offensive juggernaut West Virginia and the ACC’s Boston College, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Wake Forest. —Daniel Carp

Johnell Barnes
Wide receiver/cornerback
Fort Myers, Fla.
5’11”, 154 lbs.

What he lacks in size, he makes up for with play-making abilities. Wake Forest, Connecticut and Northwestern were on his list of suitors before committing to Duke. Scout.com called him, “One of the most explosive players in the state.” He’s a great route-runner and a nightmare to cover one-on-one for defensive backs. He has the quickness and durabilty to play on either side of the ball. —Brady Buck

T.J. Douglas
Wide receiver
Fort Myers, Fla.
6’0”, 178 lbs.

A quarterback in high school, Cutcliffe plans to use Douglas as a wide receiver. The dynamic athlete put up big numbers in Florida this season. Douglas told The Chronicle he ran for about 1,500 yards, threw for around 700 yards and finished with 23 touchdowns overall while helping his Fort Myers High School team finish the year with an 8-2 record. Douglas had scholarship offers from Boston College, Purdue and Iowa State. —Brady Buck

Ryan Smith
Wide receiver
Las Vegas, Nevada
5’7”, 150 lbs.

Jamison Crowder emerged as a deep threat for the Blue Devils in 2012, and on National Signing Day Duke will add another undersized receiver who could fit a similar mold. Smith stands at just 5-foot-7, but stretched the field during his senior season at Bishop Gorman High School, averaging nearly 22 yards per reception, catching 39 passes for 856 yards and 14 touchdowns. Smith was also dangerous in the return game, and his 4.52 40-yard speed can help make up for his lack of size, which definitely played a factor in the limited scholarship offers he received from programs like Colorado State, New Mexico and Utah State. Smith will also join his former high school teammate Jela Duncan, who led the Blue Devils in rushing yards as a freshman last season, in Durham next year. —Daniel Carp

Share and discuss “Duke National Signing Day 2013: Backs and Receivers” on social media.