David Rubenstein donates $10M to Duke Athletics

Duke trustee David Rubenstein, Trinity ’70, will donate $10 million to the athletic department, according to a press release, matching the largest gift ever given to the athletic department.

The gift will go to the department’s $250 million target in Duke Forward, the University’s $3.25 billion capital campaign launched in September.

“The breadth of David Rubenstein’s interests at Duke is matched only by the depth of his generosity,” said President Richard Brodhead in the release. “We are grateful for the many extraordinary ways he has supported Duke’s highest priorities and enriched the student experience.”

Rubenstein’s gift matches the $10 million gift by Dr. Steven Scott and his wife Rebecca Scott, who made an equal gift to the athletic portion of Duke Forward in October. Their gift was specifically earmarked for a new 35,000 square-foot facility that will house ticket offices, a team store and other facilities.

Overall, of the $250 million for the athletic department in the capital campaign, $100 million is for facility enhancements and support, $100 million is for operating funds and $50 million is for endowment income.

Goals for Duke Forward include completing the bowl seating at Wallace Wade Stadium, the football facility, and renovations to the lobby at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

And this is just one of many donations that Rubenstein—who serves as co-chair of Duke Forward—has made to the University. He has made nearly $40 million in other major donations to Duke, in support of the University’s Innovation and Entrepreneurship Inititiative, the Duke University Libraries and the Sanford School of Public Policy.

“I am pleased to join so many others in supporting Duke’s athletic program —not just because of its success in so many sports over so many years, but also because of the program’s commitment to academic achievement and excellence,” Rubenstein said.

Share and discuss “David Rubenstein donates $10M to Duke Athletics” on social media.