Duke men's basketball hires female manager, first since 2014-15

<p>The 2014-15 season was the last time there was a female men's basketball manager for Duke.</p>

The 2014-15 season was the last time there was a female men's basketball manager for Duke.

The 2014-15 men's basketball season holds a special place in Duke lore, as the season ended with the team cutting down the nets in Indianapolis, capturing the program's fifth and most recent national championship. 

On a less rosy note, that season also marks the last time that the program had a female manager. 

Until now.

For the first time in nearly five years, there will be a female manager for the Duke men's basketball team, Mike DeGeorge, the team's director of sports information, confirms. 

Though the team maintained its position that manager positions were open to applicants of all genders, allegations arose in 2014 that the program would not hire women in the capacity anymore. In 2017, The Chronicle got messages from 2014 that a male manager "said the team would only accept female applicants in special cases."

Managers play a key role in day-to-day operations for the program, doing everything from setting up for practices to loading luggage prior to away games. There are typically about a dozen managers with Duke every year. Managers do not receive a salary, but are eligible for scholarships, meaning the group must follow Title IX.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball hires female manager, first since 2014-15” on social media.