In light of racial incidents, OIE leader says Duke should listen to students

Courtesy of Duke Today
Courtesy of Duke Today

Ben Reese recently announced he was stepping down as the vice president of the office for institutional equity at the end of this school year. Reese's office oversees the University and health system’s actions related to diversity, sexual harassment and inclusion. The Chronicle spoke with Reese about his plans for the last year on the job, how academia can grapple with the MeToo movement and more. This interview has been edited for length and clarity.

The Chronicle: How did you become interested in a career in institutional equity?

Ben Reese: Since early high school I have been interested in issues of civil rights, and particularly race. So my whole career has been focused on equity and fairness and social justice.

TC: How has Duke’s Office of Institutional Equity changed in your time with it?

BR: Certainly in terms of size and breadth. When I came to OIE 22 years ago, our work was primarily on the undergraduate campus and the graduate school, and a segment of our work was in Duke Hospital. Since then, in the late 1990’s, the health system was created. So we have responsibilities for the undergraduate campus, the graduate school and professional schools and now a health system of three hospitals and clinics. That has been a significant expansion. 

Our work has increasingly become more strategic and systemic, with a focus on working with leaders to try to enhance the culture at Duke.

TC: On the topic of strategy, has your philosophy or strategy towards the position changed during your tenure?

BR: Not really. I both believe there are broader U.S. societal challenges around equity and fairness, and the other part of the strategy is the culture and climate of the United States and certainly Duke University. The strategy hasn’t really changed. 

TC: You mentioned the broader U.S. climate. How do you think times of political divisiveness affects places like Duke and what steps, if any, does your office take to address that?

BR: I think that the kind of climate we’re living in now is just intense divisions along a host of lines. It creates an opportunity for our office to deepen our work on how to enhance understanding between various segments on campus, to try in strategic ways to build an understanding among the various groups and segments. That’s really critically important for our office. 

TC: Within the University in the last six months, there have been a series of racially charged incidents. What do you think this says about the University’s current position as a community and what steps can it take to move forward?

BR: I think a key in this climate at Duke is to deepen our understanding of the information we get from students. Students are the ones who live here. They live on our campus, they have a perspective that is critically important. So in times like this it behooves us to listen more deeply to students, to think creatively about how we respond to their concerns and needs and, where appropriate, to enhance, review and modify policies. So at times like this, it’s increasingly important to listen to students. 

TC: You mentioned modifying policy, and one policy question at the center of this discussion has been the question of a standardized set of consequences for hate and bias speech. What is your opinion about whether a policy like that would be helpful and, if so, what should a policy like that look like?

BR: One of the hallmarks of the academy is free speech, not only as a policy but because it is really a bedrock part of free exchange and learning. So I think across the country and certainly at Duke, we’re trying to examine ways in which we can certainly hold onto the principles of vigorous open debate and, at the same time, make sure we have an environment that is safe. It’s a complex balance. 

It’s a discussion that is happening nationally, and I think we need to keep on thinking about how we find that kind of sweet spot, if you will, between maintaining that kind of vigorous and open climate for discussion and learning and making sure that it’s a place where students feel safe. As an office, we’re deeply involved in that discussion and we need to continue to listen to all constituencies and see how we can move forward.

TC: The MeToo Movement has touched academia. Do you have any thoughts on ways academia, looking more broadly than Duke, can grapple with that and move forward?

BR: I think what we’re seeing nationally that has resulted from the MeToo movement is that schools are looking at not only their policies, but probably equally important, just the ways people behave. So the real richness and point of the MeToo Movement is that it has really catalyzed the academy to look at policy as well as behavior. We’re going through a really important and challenging period of time, and I’m confident the academy is going to step up and make the appropriate changes. 

TC: What is the biggest thing you think you’ve learned from your time in this role?

BR: I’ve been at this work for almost 50 years, so I’ve seen a lot of changes since my work in the 1960s. In spite of national polarization, I see more people engaged and not only thinking about issues of social justice but working hard to shift the kind of climate in the country. 

When I started doing this work in the 1960s, the people working hard around social justice issues were primarily Blacks and Hispanic Latinos. I think one of the real welcome changes is that we see a broader segment of our nation really ready to do the work, and I say that in spite of the polarization and the greater visibility of white supremacist view points. I feel heartened that we are nationally building a broader coalition of people who think seriously and behave in a really vigorous way around social justice issues. 

Correction: This article was updated Monday afternoon to reflect that Reese has been working in this field for "almost 50 years," not almost 60. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “In light of racial incidents, OIE leader says Duke should listen to students ” on social media.