From cake to EMS: O-Week's social scene in review

Orientation Week is a special week for Duke first-years—a time of moving in, going to parties, attending info sessions and meeting new friends.

There were six Emergency Medical Service calls during O-Week and over the weekend, five of which resulted in visits to the emergency room, according to David Mallen, assistant director of the Duke Wellness Center. The number of calls was quite comparable to last year's four students who were taken to the hospital for alcohol related issues, wrote John Dailey, chief of the Duke University Police Department, in an email. 

"The numbers that we observed this past week are similar to those of previous years so there weren't any specific events that led to the assessments," Mallen wrote in an email. "Similar to what we have been seeing over the last few years, increasingly more students are using low-risk strategies to drinking and it is paying off with them having a good time while also staying safe."

During Orientation Week, all first-years attend a training called True Blue, which entails student performances and discussions on various wellness topics. Mallen wrote that the instruction is designed to send educate first-years on safe choices related to alcohol use and sexual health and also managing the stress that comes with moving to a new environment and meeting new people. 

"DuWell aims to not just be reactive when it comes to alcohol and other substance use but also be proactive to help students manage the issues that might lead to higher-risk behaviors," Mallen wrote.

When first-years are considering how to stay safe during Orientation Week, Mallen advised for students to take the time to prioritize wellness and put their Orientation Week training into action.

The Chronicle asked first-years what they thought about their Orientation Week experience. When reflecting on the social scene during the week, various first-years noted a strong sense of community on campus.

First-year Cameron Jarnot said that there always seemed to be something going on during her first week on campus. She added that she is looking forward to her upcoming years at Duke.

"It seemed like so many groups had stuff going on," Jarnot said. "I’m excited to see other communities."

Living on East Campus provides first-years with the opportunity to grow close with one another. First-years also recalled their experiences bonding with others in their dorms.

"We've had a really good experience with people in our dorm, staying up until 3 a.m., eating cake and talking," first-year Maddy McNee said.

However, living on a different campus doesn't prevent first-years from meeting upperclassmen. First-year Maddie Cecchini discussed how the Orientation Week social scene acts as a bridge that connects the tight-knit community of East Campus to those of their elder peers.

"Upperclassmen make you feel welcome," Cecchini said.

Stefanie Pousoulides profile
Stefanie Pousoulides | Investigations Editor

Stefanie Pousoulides is The Chronicle's Investigations Editor. A senior from Akron, Ohio, Stefanie is double majoring in political science and international comparative studies and serves as a Senior Editor of The Muse Magazine, Duke's feminist magazine. She is also a former co-Editor-in-Chief of The Muse Magazine and a former reporting intern at PolitiFact in Washington, D.C.

Share and discuss “From cake to EMS: O-Week's social scene in review” on social media.