Duke included on Forbes list of best U.S. employers for women

According to Forbes magazine, Duke is one of the best places for women to work.

In its inaugural list of best employers in America for women, Duke ranked 159 out of 300 total employers included on the list across several industries and 19 out of 25 for educational organizations. 

"We are always pleased for Duke to receive external recognition that helps to validate the positive culture and experience of working at Duke," said Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president of administration, to DukeToday

Peer institutions on the list included Harvard University, Stanford University, Vanderbilt University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Forbes, working with the market research company Statista, surveyed 40,000 Americans—including 25,000 women—to gauge how they felt about conditions in their workplace. All participants were granted anonymity.

Factors included how respondents felt about diversity, parental leave and pay equity, according to a description of the survey on their website. Employees were also asked if they would recommend their employer, and they could recommend other companies other than their own.

“The final list ranks the 300 employers that both received the most recommendations and boast the most gender diverse boards and executive ranks,” wrote Forbes writer Vicky Valet in an explanation of the list on their website.

Only companies with at least 1,000 employees were eligible for the list.

You can read the full report, “America’s Best Employers for Women 2018,” here.

Jake Satisky profile
Jake Satisky | Editor-in-Chief

Jake Satisky is a Trinity senior and the digital strategy director for Volume 116. He was the Editor-in-Chief for Volume 115 of The Chronicle. 

Share and discuss “Duke included on Forbes list of best U.S. employers for women” on social media.