Donors give Duke $517 million in one year, setting second-highest year mark

In the fiscal year after the Duke Forward campaign ended, the University had its second-highest year of fundraising ever. 

Donors gave $517 million to Duke in gifts to support research, financial aid, teaching and construction from July 2017 to June 2018, the University announced Thursday morning in a news release. The number represents new outright gifts, but not government contracts or pledges for future donations.

“Duke’s ability to make a difference in the world is possible because of our alumni, donors and friends, and we’re grateful for their continued generosity,” said David Kennedy, who took over the position of vice president for alumni affairs and development August 13.

Out of the $517 million, the largest portion—$201 million—is aimed at supporting research efforts. The next highest mark was financial aid for undergraduate and graduate students, which received $71 million. 

Construction and renovation projects were given $22 million, and support for faculty was given $19 million. 

The Annual Fund received a record $40 million based on donations from 58,000 individuals.

The donations come after the end of Duke Forward, which was the University's largest ever fundraising campaign and which garnered $3.85 billion in donations over the course of the campaign.

Share and discuss “Donors give Duke $517 million in one year, setting second-highest year mark” on social media.