Film room: Breaking down Army's triple option offense

<p>Duke's defense needs to stay focused and disciplined in order to stop Army's dominant triple option offense from running up the score.</p>

Duke's defense needs to stay focused and disciplined in order to stop Army's dominant triple option offense from running up the score.

The triple option in college football has gone the way of the landline telephone, rarely utilized and a gadget your grandparents feel should be used more. 

Currently, at least four major Division-I programs currently run the offense. While most college coaches have opted for more pass heavy, spread out offenses, the triple option is still an effective offense utilized by Army, Duke’s first opponent of the season. 

The reason the triple option can be devastating is in its name; there are variations that can occur by reading the defense. A smart quarterback in this offense is extremely vital because as soon as the ball is snapped, it his job to read the defensive end and outside linebacker to choose which option is employed. In Duke’s most recent meeting with Army last season, the Black Knights showed how effective the triple option could be in numerous instances. Let’s examine the film to understand what makes the play so special. 

The first option is to simply just hand off the ball to the fullback under center. In this play, former Army quarterback Ahmad Bradshaw recognized that it was a short yardage situation; the offensive line got a major push off the snap, and the defensive end stayed in his land. Therefore, Bradshaw handed the ball to fullback Andy Davidson, who slashed his way to a seven-yard gain. 

The second choice the quarterback can make is to keep the ball. Later, on the same drive, Bradshaw was able to convert on second down and six by reading the defensive back. Realizing that the defensive back crashed, Bradshaw was able to follow his blockers for a six-yard gain.  

The third option out of the offense is to pitch the ball to the halfback. On third down during the team’s first drive of the game, Army ran an option play. Bradshaw, before being brought down to the ground, tossed the ball to running back Calen Holt who scurried up the sideline for a five-yard gain. 

Duke had success defending against the triple option last season. Despite losing to Army 21-16, the Blue Devils held the Black Knights to just four yards a carry. Duke's ability to keep lane discipline is what makes their defense against the triple option so effective. On this second down and 10 play in the middle of the third quarter, Duke effectively shut down all three options on the play. At the snap, the defensive end decided to crash to the ball, which forced Bradshaw to fake the handoff. Bradshaw then dashed off to the edge, only to be met by Duke Linebacker Ben Humphreys committing to his lane. Bradshaw, expecting to be tackled, then pitched the ball to running back John Trainor. However, Duke cornerback Mark Gilbert stayed home on the play and made an open field tackle to limit the play to a one-yard gain for Trainor. 

Defending against the triple offense can be difficult for most college defenses. The uniqueness of the offense gives most opponents only a limited amount of time to prepare, and even if the defense is disciplined, the offense has ample ways to exploit minor mistakes. However, if Duke is looking to start off the season strong with a win, they will need to keep Army’s running attack in check. 

Share and discuss “Film room: Breaking down Army's triple option offense” on social media.