‘Absolute dream come true’: U.S. Olympic Committee hires Duke alum Sarah Hirshland as CEO

<p>Duke alum Sarah Hirshland is taking the reins of the U.S. Olympic Committee</p>

Duke alum Sarah Hirshland is taking the reins of the U.S. Olympic Committee

After the U.S. Olympic Committee chief executive Scott Blackburn stepped down earlier this year in light of the Larry Nassar sex abuse case, a Duke alumna was picked to lead the organization as it grapples with the fallout and plans to host the 2028 Summer Olympics in Los Angeles.

Now, Sarah Hirshland, Trinity ’97, is taking the reins of the organization responsible for the United States’ Olympic and Paralympic teams.

“The USOC is at a critical time in its history and requires an energetic, creative and inspiring leader who is capable of building on past success while making sure that the athletes we serve are protected, supported and empowered in every possible way,” Larry Probst, USOC chairman, said in the organization’s news release Wednesday.

At Duke, Hirshland earned her bachelor’s of science in biology before kicking off a career in professional sports management and marketing. She held administrative posts in a few private companies before moving to the United States Golf Association in 2011, according to the release.

Hirshland’s current position is chief commercial officer with the USGA, where she handles the organization’s marketing, corporate partnerships, community outreach and content distribution.

“The Olympic and Paralympic Games, and the movements they help advance, are a source of inspiration and admiration on every continent on earth, and one of the few things in history that can bring the world together in celebration,” Hirshland said in the release. 

She will officially take over as the 12th CEO of the Olympic committee by the end of August, replacing interim chief Susanne Lyons.

“To be invited to lead the Olympic and Paralympic community in the United States, to be associated with Team USA, and to have the honor and privilege of serving America’s athletes is an absolute dream come true,” Hirshland said.

Bre Bradham

Bre is a senior political science major from South Carolina, and she is the current video editor, special projects editor and recruitment chair for The Chronicle. She is also an associate photography editor and an investigations editor. Previously, she was the editor-in-chief and local and national news department head. 

Twitter: @brebradham

Email: breanna.bradham@duke.edu

Share and discuss “‘Absolute dream come true’: U.S. Olympic Committee hires Duke alum Sarah Hirshland as CEO” on social media.