Duke football's Jack Wohlabaugh granted immediate eligibility by NCAA

<p>For a second consecutive offseason, head coach David Cutcliffe has picked up an offensive lineman via transfer from Big Ten powerhouse Ohio State.</p>

For a second consecutive offseason, head coach David Cutcliffe has picked up an offensive lineman via transfer from Big Ten powerhouse Ohio State.

After losing three starters last season, the Blue Devils offensive line will receive a big boost a year earlier than it originally anticipated.

According to an official press release from the team Wednesday, redshirt sophomore center Jack Wohlabaugh, will be available this fall after a waiver request for immediate availability was approved by the NCAA. Wohlabaugh transferred from Ohio State in January and will have three years of eligibility at Duke. 

For the second straight year, the Blue Devils picked up an offensive lineman from Ohio State, adding the former four-star recruit. Wohlabaugh was the nation's No. 4 center prospect in the Class of 2015, according to Scout, but never found a role with Ohio State—the same school where Evan Lisle began his collegiate career.

Although the Buckeyes earned a College Football Playoff berth in 2016 and won the 2017 Cotton Bowl Championship, Wohlabaugh never saw the field for Urban Meyer's squad. 

The 6-foot-4, 300-pound lineman will began classes Jan. 10 in Durham, but it was originally expected he would not be able to use his remaining years of eligibility until the 2019 season due to NCAA transfer rules. The Akron, Ohio native, however, will immediately bolster a unit that will have to replace three starters heading into 2018—Lisle, Gabe Brandner and Austin Davis.

Wohlabaugh will get to work with a new offensive line coach after Marcus Johnson left to take the same position at Mississippi State. 

Wohlabaugh will take the field alongside Duke's two returning starters, Zach Harmon, and top reserve Christian Harris, and will have a good chance to start on what could be a young but talented offensive front. Outside of likely starters Julian Santos, Harris and Harmon, Rakavius Chambers and a bevy of young players will vie for time in 2018 and beyond.

Share and discuss “Duke football's Jack Wohlabaugh granted immediate eligibility by NCAA” on social media.