University reports attempted sexual assault off-campus Thursday morning

Update: Durham police arrested a man in connection the case Friday, June 1. Isadore Sullivan, Jr., 35, of Durham has been charged with attempted first-degree rape, second-degree kidnapping, felony breaking and entering and carrying a concealed gun, according to Duke Today.

Late Thursday morning, a female graduate student reported an attempted sexual assault by an unknown assailant, according to a Duke Today report.

The student, who lives in an off-campus apartment close to Duke University Road, said that the assailant claimed to be at the apartment for a repair. He came into the apartment and pulled out a handgun. The student escaped unharmed.

According to the Duke Today report, the suspect was described as a black male about 6'2" tall and about 35 to 40 years old. The suspect was also described as being heavyset and unshaven with a thin mustache. He displayed a gray-colored handgun, and wore a dark blue T-shirt with white lettering and black knee-length shorts.

The report stated that the information is preliminary, and the incident is being investigated by the Durham Police Department. Individuals with relevant information are being asked to call CrimeStoppers at (919) 683-1200.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, sent an email to students early Thursday afternoon alerting them to the incident.

"A short while ago I learned that a Duke graduate student was the victim of an attempted sexual assault at her off campus apartment," he wrote. "The incident is under investigation by Durham Police, and the student will be supported by Duke’s various care services."

He noted that most students are away from campus right now.

"As always, these incidents remind us to take all appropriate precautions, and I trust that wherever you are, you’re mindful of best approaches to ensuring your safety and wellbeing," Moneta wrote.

Share and discuss “University reports attempted sexual assault off-campus Thursday morning” on social media.