Joe Van Gogh announces it is leaving Duke location

Joe Van Gogh owner Robbie Roberts announced Friday that the chain is leaving Duke.

“Effective immediately, I have decided to cut my company’s ties with Duke University. I believe it’s the right thing to do to preserve Joe Van Gogh’s brand independence without conditions," Roberts wrote in the statement. "I have extended jobs to our entire team at our Duke on-campus store, either at one of our off-campus locations or at our production offices. And, I have reached out to our two baristas who were provided severance so that they may either re-join Joe Van Gogh or secure employment elsewhere if they like."

The statement comes after two baristas were let go from the coffee chain's on-campus location following a complaint from Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, about an "offensive" rap song being played.

The University and Joe Van Gogh have since issued statements on the incident, and President Vincent Price apologized for the firings.

“During the past several days, I have reflected on our core values and what I want to embrace and advocate as a small business owner. Joe Van Gogh has always been about bringing people together, not driving them apart," Roberts wrote. "We are open to all people and we value people over our profits. We always have. For years, we have nurtured these values to the communities we serve, specifically through the strengths and talents of our staff of baristas."

Roberts went on to say that he wanted to thank those involved with the chain.

“I want to thank Joe Van Gogh employees and customers and everyone who has shared their candor with me during this period," the owner stated. "I am grateful to live in a society where all voices—positive or not—can be heard and met with understanding. I hope that we can become a more tolerant society by working through difficulties such as this one.”

Friday afternoon, Kristen Brown, Duke's associate vice president of news, communications and media, gave a statement from the University on the coffee chain's decision to leave campus. 

"We respect Joe Van Gogh’s decision to end their relationship with Duke. We appreciate their partnership over the years and wish them great success going forward," Brown wrote in an email. "Duke will continue to support local restaurants in our dining program."

In a sign found posted to the shop's door Saturday, the coffee shop announced it would close its shop on campus at the end of the business day Sunday. 

"Thank you for the wonderful friends we've made over the past ten years. Please come see us at one of our neighborhood stores," the sign read. "We will be closing our doors at our Duke University cafe at the end of business on Sunday, May 13."

Check back for updates.

Editor's Note: This article was updated Friday afternoon to include the University's statement and was updated Saturday evening with the closing date for the coffee shop.

Share and discuss “Joe Van Gogh announces it is leaving Duke location ” on social media.