'We view it as an opportunity': TriDelt loses housing section

Duke's chapter of Delta Delta Delta is losing their housing, said Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs.

Moneta said that for several years TriDelt has not met its inter-generational requirement—which necessitates that a certain percentage of sophomores, juniors and seniors live in section. TriDelt President Annie Williams, a rising senior, explained that this was because the "vast majority" of juniors in the sorority go abroad in the fall.

"Change is always something to adjust to but we don’t see losing our house as an extremely impactful change—most of our members who would typically live on section will be on central campus or even in our current house," Williams wrote in an email at the end of April. "We are looking forward to our members having the diverse experience of living with those not affiliated with TriDelt.  We view it as an opportunity, and we hope that eventually Duke housing and other chapters will transition to a less exclusive living plan."

She added that TriDelt would consider the idea of trying to get its section back in the future, but that that decision would be up to the chapter.

Moneta said that he doesn't know if any groups that have lost housing will return or if Duke lets the "selective communities shrink by the very nature of them losing their own housing." It will depend on the recommendations of the task force created by the Board of Trustees last month, Next Generation Living and Learning Experience.

Likhitha Butchireddygari

Follow Likhitha on Twitter

Class of 2019

Editor-in-chief 2017-18, 

Local and national news department head 2016-17

Born in Hyderabad, India, Likhitha Butchireddygari moved to Baltimore at a young age. She is pursuing a Program II major entitled "Digital Democracy and Data" about the future of the American democracy.

Share and discuss “'We view it as an opportunity': TriDelt loses housing section” on social media.