Duke announces David Kennedy as next VP of alumni affairs and development

President Vincent Price announced Wednesday that David Kennedy, currently the senior associate vice president for development at Stanford University, will be Duke's next vice president of alumni affairs and development.

Kennedy will replace Robert Shepard, who has held the position for 14 years and been at Duke for a total of 23 years, according to a Duke Today release.

“We are excited to welcome Dave Kennedy into the Blue Devil family,” Price said in the release. “Deeply accomplished, widely respected and admired by his peers, he will be a trusted partner to me and a dynamic leader of our talented team in alumni affairs and development."

Kennedy took his current position at Stanford in 2009, and led the university's development office in the Stanford Challenge, which raised $6.2 billion and was, at the time, the most successful fundraising campaign in higher education.

“I am honored and thrilled to be joining President Price and his leadership team at such an important time for Duke University, and l am very excited to work with the talented and deeply committed alumni affairs and development teams,” Kennedy said in the release.

In his new role at Duke, Kennedy will oversee the University's Alumni Association and central development operations, including leading Duke's fundraising efforts and securing private philanthropy.

Kennedy was chosen for the position after a nationwide search by a committee chaired by Richard Riddell, senior vice president and university secretary, to replace Shepard. 

Shepard guided the University through the Duke Forward campaign, raising more than $3.85 billion. When Shepard announced his retirement in January, he told Duke Today that he felt it was the right time to step down so Price could bring in someone new to plan the next University campaign. 

“Duke is blessed by its loyal, passionate and extremely generous alumni, parents and friends who aspire to push the university to even greater heights, as demonstrated by the resounding success of the Duke Forward campaign,” Kennedy said. “Combine President Price’s vision and leadership with Duke’s innovative and collaborative academic leaders and Duke is poised for another remarkable run of philanthropic support.”

Check back for updates.

Share and discuss “Duke announces David Kennedy as next VP of alumni affairs and development” on social media.