Through the years: How Larry Moneta responds to Greek life controversies on campus

In February, Duke’s Delta Sigma Phi fraternity dropped a new member after sexual harassment allegations arose, marking another serious incident involving Greek organizations on campus.

Larry Moneta, vice president for student affairs, is tasked with overseeing Greek organizations and is responsible for the implementation of policy affecting Greek life. After major controversies involving Greek life, Moneta has either issued a statement or declined to comment in response. We took a look back at Moneta's responses to serious Greek-related incidents dating back to 2002.

“I abhor hazing and I think it's something we have to take very seriously.” —Feb. 26, 2002, in response to allegations of hazing

“We’re scared to death. I’m scared to death.” —Sept. 4, 2003, sharing his concerns about the potential death of a student from Greek-related, high-risk activities

“We don't want to strong-arm our students.” —Sept. 17, 2003, commenting on disciplining Sigma Chi for throwing a "Viva Mexico" party that offended many students

"The role of the administration will and has been to create conditions where students will create change. What we don't do is simply force 'hand-holding' experiences." —May 2, 2005, on the role of the administration in dictating the social atmosphere on campus

Moneta declined comment, citing the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. —May 29, 2008, in response to allegations of hazing when a student was incapacitated at a Spring fraternity event

“Change is not going to be dictated by the administration. We’re joining with the students...” —Jan. 24, 2011, in response to changing a toxic Greek culture

“Just as the curriculum for a major is not decided by the students, neither is the housing model we choose to implement. It is an administrative decision.” —Sept. 28, 2011, in response to students giving input on changing the culture surrounding Duke’s residential life

“These are behaviors that have had us very concerned.” —Feb. 22, 2012, in response to allegations of hazing. Moneta declined to name or comment on specific groups.

Moneta wrote that the administration intends to “work with student leaders in DSG and the Greek Councils to find ways to prevent yet another recurrence of this unacceptable behavior.” —Feb. 12, 2013, in response to a racist party hosted by Kappa Sigma fraternity 

Moneta said that he was “not able to share anything further about the basis for the interim suspension.” —Feb. 12, 2013, in response to KSig's party

"We are resolved to use these events as learning opportunities." —Feb. 13, 2013, also in response to KSig's party

“Steps must be taken to prevent any similar recurrence.” —Jan. 28, 2016, in response to student hospitalized from Greek-related binge drinking, which led to a temporary suspension of sorority activities

Moneta wrote that Duke has not covered up hazing incidents and takes such allegations seriously—Nov. 13, 2017, in response to allegations of hazing in black fraternities and sororities

“If only there was a formula... it's about balance and opportunity" —Jan. 19, 2018, in response to racial segregation and lack of diversity in Greek life

Moneta declined to comment. —Feb. 1, 2018, in response to a Greek-related sexual assault allegation  

“There’s no cookbook I use—circumstances dictate the breadth and depth of communications with media and others.” —April 11, 2018, in response to our question on how he formulates media responses 

Share and discuss “Through the years: How Larry Moneta responds to Greek life controversies on campus” on social media.