Michael Model elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 114

<p>Sophomore Michael Model will begin his term as sports editor April 25.</p>

Sophomore Michael Model will begin his term as sports editor April 25.

Sophomore Michael Model was elected sports editor of The Chronicle’s 114th volume at a department-wide meeting.

Model will begin his one-year term April 25 and replace junior Hank Tucker. The New York native will lead a staff of approximately 30 writers and editors. 

“It has been a pleasure observing the growth of the department under Hank this year,” Model said. “I am looking forward to working with our incredible staff to further expand The Chronicle’s presence with an emphasis on optimizing our digital content.”

Model is currently an assistant editor for The Blue Zone, The Chronicle’s sports blog, and also serves as a men’s basketball beat writer. He was previously a beat writer for football, baseball and fencing. 

In his platform and speech, Model stressed the need to integrate the blog onto the main sports page, making the content more accessible to all readers and visible to those viewing it on mobile devices. He also emphasized a desire to spend more time nurturing young writers and to create more opportunities for digital interaction between the readers and the sports department.

“Michael has done an outstanding job as a journalist over the last year and a half, and is always ready and eager to tackle the next challenge at hand,” Tucker said. “His passion to lead and clear vision for the department will help The Chronicle further adapt to the changing media landscape.”

Model is pursuing a statistical science major with an economics minor and the decision science certificate before potentially going into a career in data and analytics after his graduation in 2020. 

“Michael is driven in his push to help The Chronicle evolve into a digital-first publication, and I believe that his passion for statistics and data will be crucial to furthering our analytical content,” said junior Mitchell Gladstone, the current sports managing editor of The Chronicle. “I’m excited to be a part of Chronicle Sports during Michael’s tenure as editor.”

Model noted that his experience covering the Blue Devil football team this fall, including travel to hostile environments in Chapel Hill and Blacksburg, Va., encouraged him to take the steps necessary to become head of the sports department. 

“The Chronicle has provided me with opportunities that people spend entire lives dreaming of,” Model said. “Whether I was standing on the court at Madison Square Garden or sitting in a press conference with Coach K, I’m grateful for the opportunities The Chronicle has provided me with and am excited for the rest of our staff to gain similar experiences in the coming year."

Share and discuss “Michael Model elected Chronicle sports editor of Vol. 114” on social media.