Gov. Roy Cooper set to speak on campus March 29

Roy Cooper is set to make his first public appearance on campus since he became North Carolina's governor last year.

He will discuss policy, politics and how North Carolina intersects with Washington, and the talk will be hosted by POLITICO Playbook co-authors Anna Palmer and Jake Sherman.

Cooper earned both his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and he served as the state's attorney general before making his run for governor. He began as the 75th governor of North Carolina in Jan. 2017 after narrowly defeating incumbent Republican Gov. Pat McCrory in Nov. 2016 that was followed by a month-long legal battle. McCrory later conceded the election.

During his first 100 days in office, Cooper signed House Bill 142, which modified the original HB2 to prevent municipalities from passing nondiscrimination ordinances to protect LGBTQ+ people and workers’ rights until 2020. 

As governor, Cooper has faced a veto-proof Republican majority in the state legislature. He also called for an expansion in Medicaid per the Affordable Care Act, but faced legal obstacles by Republican legislators in doing so.  

The event is hosted by Duke’s Center for Political Leadership, Innovation and Service and is part of POLITICO’s Playbook University series. Playbook is a daily brief-style newsletter focused on Washington politics written by Palmer, Sherman and Daniel Lippman. Earlier this semester, Lippman visited campus to talk about the state of Washington politics, President Trump and the future of journalism.

The talk is scheduled for 11:45 a.m. on March 29 in Penn Pavilion.

Share and discuss “Gov. Roy Cooper set to speak on campus March 29” on social media.