2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 5 Kentucky

Kentucky Wildcats: 22-10, 10-8 in the Southeastern Conference

Head coach: John Calipari (9th season)

Players to watch: Kevin Knox (15.7 PPG, 5.3 RPG, 0.9 SPG), Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (13.2 PPG, 4.9 APG, 1.6 SPG), P.J. Washington (10.4 PPG, 5.4 RPG, 50.2 FG%)

Season recap: Entering the season as a top-10 team, Kentucky’s youth was evident throughout the season. 

The Wildcats looked very sloppy in a 65-61 defeat to then-No.4 Kansas at the Champions Classic, but they would rebound with seven-straight victories before falling to an unranked UCLA team on Dec. 23rd, closing nonconference play with a 10-2 record. 

The Wildcats really took a dive in conference play, never able to dominate their opponents the way basketball fans have been accustomed to seeing over the last few years. After dropping a tough road game at then No. 23 Tennessee on Jan. 6, Kentucky hit the stretch that would define their season.

From Jan. 16 to Feb. 14, the Wildcats dropped six of nine contests, including four losses against unranked opponents, causing Kentucky to fall out of the top-25. If it weren’t for a 4-1 end to the regular season, the Wildcats would likely be much closer to the bubble.

How they make a run: Kentucky showed its potential on numerous occasions this season, blowing out in-state rival Louisville and dominating Missouri and Ole Miss in its final two home games of the season. The Wildcats will need to get hot offensively and play through explosive freshman Kevin Knox to make a run.

How they falter: If the offense goes cold, they will struggle. Kentucky failed to surpass the 70-point plateau in eight of 10 losses and their young defense is not developed enough to recover from a lack of scoring.

Michael Model

Digital Strategy Director for Vol. 115, Michael was previously Sports Editor for Vol. 114 and Assistant Blue Zone Editor for Vol. 113.  Michael is a senior majoring in Statistical Science and is interested in data analytics and using data to make insights.

Share and discuss “2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 5 Kentucky ” on social media.