2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 16 Radford

Radford Highlanders: 22-12, 12-6 in the Big South Conference

Head coach: Mike Jones (7th Season)

Players to watch: Ed Polite Jr. (13.5 PPG, 7.7 RPG); Carlik Jones (11.8 PPG, 3.0 APG)

Season recap: Radford struggled out of conference this year, barely breaking the .500 mark before Big South play started. The Highlanders scheduled a fairly difficult nonconference slate, losing to three Power-5 and Nevada, which earned a No. 7 seed in the NCAA tournament. Radford finished its nonconference schedule with two key wins to build momentum heading into conference play.

Radford exceeded expectations once Big South play started. Although they were projected to be seventh in the preseason rankings, the Highlanders finished 12-6 and earned the second seed in the Big South tournament. Radford relied on its depth, with 10 players appearing in almost every game. The Big South tournament itself was one of the more chaotic ones this season. Top-seeded UNC Asheville got upset in the semifinals against Liberty. In the championship against the Flames, Radford freshman Carlik Jones hit a half-court buzzer beater to seal its first tournament appearance since 2009.

How they make a run: Radford plays at an exceptionally slow pace, ranking 346th in Ken Pomeroy’s adjusted tempo. The Highlanders can slow down the game against a more talented Power-5 team and keep the score low in a grind-it-out win.

How they falter: Radford is a below average offensive team. It ranks 205th in KenPom’s adjusted offense, and the Highlanders' lack of scoring could come back to haunt them in a single-elimination tournament.

Share and discuss “2018 NCAA tournament preview: No. 16 Radford” on social media.