2018 ACC tournament preview: No. 15 Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh Panthers: 8-23, 0-18 in the ACC

Head coach: Kevin Stallings (2nd season)

Players to watch: Jared Wilson-Frame (12.8 PPG, 3.5 RPG); Marcus Carr (9.7 PPG, 4.1 APG); Shamiel Stevenson (8.7 PPG, 39.5 3PT%). 

Season recap: Things have gone from really bad to historically bad for Pittsburgh. 

The Panthers scored seven—yes, seven—points in the first half against Virginia just a few weeks ago. They made one shot from the floor, the fewest ever in the shot-clock era. 

Pittsburgh didn't beat a single major conference team all season, although it went on a eight-game stretch early in the season in which it rattled off seven wins, and came within striking distance of beating then-No. 19 West Virginia. 

Since then, everything has imploded. The Panthers haven’t won a game in 2018, and rank No. 290 in the country in adjusted offensive efficiency per KenPom.com. Nothing has gone right for this team, especially when after lost its most productive player, senior forward Ryan Luther, for the season after just 10 games. This team has absolutely no identity other than losing. 

How they make a run: They don’t. The ACC is simply too deep for them to make any sort of push—even a first-round win against Notre Dame would be a titanic upset. 

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “2018 ACC tournament preview: No. 15 Pittsburgh” on social media.