Duke women's basketball guard Haley Gorecki ruled out for season with left hip injury

After missing a year and a half prior to this season with multiple injuries, Haley Gorecki will be sidelined again.

The injury bug is biting the Blue Devils once again, this time affecting one of their top players of the season so far.

Redshirt sophomore Haley Gorecki will miss the rest of the season with a left hip injury, Duke announced in a press release Wednesday afternoon. Gorecki missed a year and a half prior to this season with separate right hip and shoulder injuries, but emerged this season as an accurate sharpshooter as the Blue Devils' third-leading scorer.

Gorecki missed last Thursday's game against Georgia Tech with the hip injury before returning for nine scoreless minutes Sunday against Notre Dame.

"We are heartbroken for Haley, for her family and for our team, but we are very happy that she can become pain-free," head coach Joanne P. McCallie said in the release. "She will be able to get healthy and come back for two remainder seasons.”

Gorecki is now Duke's third backcourt player sidelined for the season with an injury, along with point guards Kyra Lambert and Mikayla Boykin. She averaged 11.0 points in 23 games this season and shot 42.3 percent from 3-point range.

The Blue Devils will take the floor with their depleted backcourt at home Wednesday night at 7 against Wake Forest.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball guard Haley Gorecki ruled out for season with left hip injury” on social media.