Duke football names assistant coaches Ben Albert, Matt Guerrieri co-defensive coordinators

David Cutcliffe entrusted two assistants with defensive coordinator duties this fall.

After losing defensive coordinator Jim Knowles to Oklahoma State, Duke decided to go internal in replacing him. 

The program announced Friday in a press release that defensive line coach Ben Albert and safeties coach Matt Guerrieri will split defensive coordinator duties in 2018. In addition to the promotions for Albert and Guerrieri, defensive backs coach Derek Jones was also promoted to associate head coach.

After a banner defensive season, Duke will have a lot of moving parts in its coaching staff. Knowles had held the defensive coordinator position since 2010 and was the architect of a Blue Devil defense that grew from a doormat to a force to be reckoned with. 

"All three coaches are deserving of their new roles, and I’m looking forward to watching them lead our defensive unit starting with spring practice next month," Cutcliffe said in the press release.

Among other changes, offensive coordinator Zac Roper received a promotion to Baxter Family Deputy Head Coach from Baxter Family Associate Head Coach. 

"His impact on our program goes well beyond coordinating our offense and coaching the quarterbacks," Cutcliffe said. "His efforts have been and will continue to be instrumental to our overall success, both on and off the field.” 

The Blue Devils will also add Lanier Goethie as an assistant coach. Goethie previously served as linebackers coach for Louisiana Tech and played under head coach David Cutcliffe at Ole Miss. 

“We are thrilled to add Lanier to our staff,” Cutcliffe said. “Obviously, we have a great deal of history with each other. As a player at Ole Miss, Lanier had a ‘coach on the field’ type impact on our football team, and I’ve really been impressed with his growth within the coaching profession. He is a young man of the highest integrity with a keen sense of accountability and I’m certain he’ll make a smooth transition into our program.”

Share and discuss “Duke football names assistant coaches Ben Albert, Matt Guerrieri co-defensive coordinators” on social media.