Editor's Note: Introducing 'The Chronicle 18'

One thing I have learned from my almost four years at Duke is that we have no shortage of amazing people. Practically every day, I feel like I find out about someone who, whether through their scholarship, service, involvement or personality, is making an indelible impact on this complex and dynamic place. I have come to the realization that it is likely impossible to understand the life of this community without looking at the lives of its individuals—well-known or otherwise.

At The Chronicle, we write about Duke constantly, as we seek to shed light on how this community works and tell the stories of the people who compose it. This year, we decided to launch “The Chronicle 18,” an initiative we hope will highlight some of the community members shaping this University. Divided among three categories—pioneers, leaders and icons—our selections, based on suggestions from our readers, are all individuals or groups defining what it means to be a member of the Duke community in 2018. On Wednesday, you will see them in print and online.

We hope you take time to read through our profiles, consider their significance to Duke and reflect on your experience as a part of this community. Duke is and is becoming Duke because of the amazing people all around us.  

Adam Beyer | Digital Content Director

Adam Beyer is a senior public policy major and is The Chronicle's Digital Strategy Team director.

Share and discuss “Editor's Note: Introducing 'The Chronicle 18'” on social media.