Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke jumps to No. 2, Villanova falls to No. 3

<p>Duke jumped in the latest AP poll after carnage ensued ahead of it.&nbsp;</p>

Duke jumped in the latest AP poll after carnage ensued ahead of it. 

After another busy week in college basketball, zero undefeated teams now remain, leading to major shakeups in the AP poll. 

Ex-No. 1 Villanova falls 

The final three undefeated teams in the country, then-No. 1 Villanova, then-No. 3 Arizona State and then-No. 10 TCU, all suffered their first losses on a chaotic Saturday. The Wildcats fell 101-93 to Butler on the road. The Bulldogs were red hot from beyond the arc, making 68.2 percent of their 3-point attempts on their way to the win, sending Villanova falling to No. 3. After a win against then-No. 24 Florida State, Duke moved up to No. 2 while Michigan State bumped up to No. 1. 

Duel in the desert

The Sun Devils lost to archrival No. 17 Arizona 84-78 as the Wildcats' star freshman Deandre Ayton scored 23 points and grabbed 19 rebounds, including a crucial tip-in with 11 seconds remaining to put Arizona up four. Arizona State guard Tra Holder put up 31 points in the loss, as head coach and former Blue Devil guard Bobby Hurley suffered his first defeat of the season to send the Sun Devils falling to No. 4, while the Wildcats leaped to No. 14.

The Trae Young show rolls on

Trae Young, the nation’s leader in points and assists, continued his spectacular performances with a virtuoso game against the Horned Frogs. The freshman scored 39 points and dished out 14 assists to lead Oklahoma to a 90-89 win over TCU. The Sooners trailed all game before Young hit the tie-breaking free throw with 7.9 seconds left to lift them to victory. Oklahoma jumped into the top 10 at No. 7 with the big road win as the Horned Frogs fell to No. 16.

Another top-5 upset

Three top-five teams went down on Saturday, the last being No. 5 Texas A&M, which lost in its first SEC game at Alabama 79-57. The Aggies went 2-for-21 from beyond the arc and only shot 30 percent from the field for the game and had no answer for Crimson Tide freshman John Petty, who knocked down five 3-pointers. Texas A&M was missing leading scorer D.J. Hogg, who was serving the second game of a three-game suspension, but still dropped to No. 11. 

———

COMPLETE RANKINGS: 

1. Michigan State

2. Duke

3. Villanova 

4. Arizona State

5. Xavier

6. West Virginia

7. Oklahoma

8. Virginia

9. Wichita State

10. Kansas

11. Texas A&M

12. North Carolina

13. Purdue 

14. Arizona

15. Miami 

16. TCU

17. Kentucky

18. Texas Tech

T-19. Gonzaga

T-19. Cincinnati

21. Seton Hall

22. Arkansas

23. Tennessee

24. Florida State 

25. Clemson

Share and discuss “Thoughts on the AP poll: Duke jumps to No. 2, Villanova falls to No. 3 ” on social media.