DUSDAC talks new Central Campus restaurant Thrive, veggie burger contest

Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee met Thursday to discuss the grand opening of Thrive, the newest addition to Duke’s dining options, among other food-related news on campus.

Located in the Devil’s Bistro on Central Campus, Thrive Kitchen and Catering is a “fast-casual fresh, healthy concept,” according to its Duke Dining description. The Chronicle rated the restaurant highly, and the DUSDAC members agreed.

“It was really great and there were tons of people and everyone loved it,” said senior Julia Leuchtenburg, who visited the restaurant two days ago. “I also heard from four different people independently that they’ve been loving it.”

Dayla Bonds, the customer service coordinator for Duke Dining, also encouraged DUSDAC members to attend the grand opening.

“There’s free samples, giveaways, live music," she said.

The committee also discussed how the snow days, which canceled classes and crippled campus operations last week, affected dining at Duke.

“I’ve heard from a lot of freshmen that they struggled to find food at Marketplace during the snow day,” Leuchtenburg said.

She added that the first-years were disappointed that they weren’t warned about the limited options. First-years told Leuchtenburg that had they known beforehand, they could have made plans to eat elsewhere on East Campus, like at Whole Foods Market.

“They walked in expecting a full selection, and it just had, like, two things available to them,” she said.

In other business, Bonds announced that a veggie burger contest will begin next week as part of the Deliberate Dining Project. Many of Duke’s restaurants will be participating, including Marketplace, Cafe Edens and the Divinity Cafe.

“Each location will be presenting a veggie burger, and you can vote for your favorite one,” Bonds said.

Correction: This article was updated to reflect that quotes attributed to DUSDAC co-chair Julia Medine were actually said by Leuchtenburg. The Chronicle regrets the error.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC talks new Central Campus restaurant Thrive, veggie burger contest” on social media.