Southern men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Southern Jaguars

2016-17 record: 15-18, 10-8 in the SWAC

Head coach: Morris Scott

Tenure at Southern: 1st season

Career coaching record: 0-0

Home court: F.G. Clark Center

Starters: F Jared Sam, G LaQuentin Collins, F Emanual Shepherd, G Rashad Andrews, G Chris Thomas

Bench: F Patrick Smith, G Brendon Ganaway, F Shaquille Benson 

Overview: Although the Jaguars will have to deal with the loss of two of their top three scorers, they are poised for a solid season thanks to a talented senior class. Senior forward Jared Sam is the team's de facto star, and he may be the best forward in the conference after averaging 13.6 points and 7.4 rebounds per game last year.

Southern will also be transitioning to a new head coach, although Morris Scott is no stranger to the program. Scott had been an assistant under now-athletic director Roman Banks since 2011, and with a strong season, could see the interim tag from his title. Scott will use his bevy of guards—four of which are in their last season of eligibility—along with Sam on the inside to wear down opponents.

What needs to go right: Sam builds off an impressive 2016-17 campaign and takes control of the team, and redshirt senior Chris Thomas steps up at the guard position, improving his shooting to complement his impressive ball-handling.

What could go wrong: None of the guards step up into a leading role, and Sam is left on an island, struggling through constant double teams in a disappointing season.

Share and discuss “Southern men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.