Making the grade: Duke football vs. Army

Army stifled Duke's rushing attack Saturday.

The Blue Devils came up shy in their sixth straight loss, diminishing any lingering hopes for a bowl game appearance. 

Offense: C+

Pass: Daniel Jones saw a mild improvement compared to last weeks dismal offense showing against Virginia Tech, but it wasn't enough to put Duke over the top. Jones finished 19-for-30, but turned the ball over twice. T.J. Rahming had three receptions for 40 yards and Chris Taylor ended with 32 yards on 3 catches. Overall, the passing game took a small step forward, but not enough to make a difference. 

Rush:  Although the running game twice put Duke on the board, it was abysmal against the Black Knights' front. Daniel Jones and Brittain Brown each had rushing touchdowns, the Blue Devils put up just 89 yards on the ground in 33 carries—2.7 yards per carry. Shaun Wilson was the lone Duke back with any sort of efficiency, taking seven carries for 46 yards. 

X’s and O’s: At the end of the day, Duke came up short in a slow starting performance. With 22 first downs and 7-for-12 3rd down conversions, the Blue Devils looked brighter than they have in their six-game losing streak, but still failed to come though with a win.

Defense: B-

Pass: Army's triple-option attack doesn't throw often, but used just its fourth completion of the season for 42 yards on its lone attempt. 

Rush: The Black Knights all but relied on the run game. Quarterback Ahmad Bradshaw rushed for 96 yards on 20 carries with 1 rushing touchdown. Andy Davidson and Darnell Woolfolk had 64 yards for 10 carries and 51 yards for 16 carries, respectively. The Blue Devils had difficulty shutting down the run game but limited longer plays, with the Black Knight’s longest run at 19 yards. 

X’s and O’s: Without any sacks or interceptions, Duke's defense couldn’t do enough to bail out its flailing offense.  

Special Teams: C-

While Austin Parker went 1-for-1 on both field goals and extra points and had 1 punt for 43 yards, the most costly error of the game came from a special teams unit that has consistent all season.  The special teams allowed a punt return touchdown, the first it has allowed all season. 

Share and discuss “Making the grade: Duke football vs. Army” on social media.