Duke men's basketball 2017-18 season preview

Duke Blue Devils

2016-17 record: 28-9, 11-7 in the ACC

Head coach: Mike Krzyzewski

Tenure at Duke: 38th season

Career coaching record: 1,071-330

Home court: Cameron Indoor Stadium

Starters: G Trevon Duval, G Grayson Allen, G Gary Trent Jr., F Marvin Bagley III, F Wendell Carter Jr. 

Bench: G Jordan Goldwire, G Alex O’Connell, C Marques Bolden, F Jordan Tucker, F Javin DeLaurier 

Overview: Starting off the season with three key players injured last year, the Blue Devils had an adjustment period to begin the season. They eventually picked up the play later on in the season, winning the ACC tournament as the only team ever to win four games in four days to do so. Duke's success did not carry into the NCAA tournament, though, as it was eliminated in the second round by South Carolina.

Expectations are again high for the Blue Devils, as they boast the top-ranked freshman class in the country with No. 1 recruit Marvin Bagley III. This will be the youngest team Duke has had in more than 30 years with seven scholarship freshmen, but the Blue Devils balance it out with preseason All-American and team captain Grayson Allen. Allen averaged 14.5 points per game last season and is coming into this year more mature, both physically and mentally. Allen and Bagley should get plenty of good looks from five-star freshman point guard Trevon Duval.

At Countdown to Craziness, Duke showed how many players on its roster can score with ease in huge bursts—specifically Gary Trent Jr., who went off for 13 points with a couple of 3-pointers. Freshman Alex O’Connell also stepped up, hitting the game-winning triple to win the Blue-White scrimmage for his squad. And with returners Javin DeLaurier and Marques Bolden filling out the frontcourt alongside freshman Wendell Carter Jr., the Blue Devils have depth all over the floor.

One thing that needs to go right: Allen returns to his sophomore-year form, providing Duke with scoring and leadership as its lone captain while he transitions back to the 2-guard position.

One thing that could go wrong: The Blue Devils’ offense suffers from a lack of 3-point shooting, which prevents Duke from keeping up with high-scoring opposition.

Share and discuss “Duke men's basketball 2017-18 season preview” on social media.