Making the grade: Duke football vs. Florida State

Florida State's physical runners were too much for Duke to handle.

Duke improved its passing game and limiting long pass plays on defense, but an atypical poor performance by the defense against the run game and limited red zone appearances cost the Blue Devils their third straight game.

Offense: C

Pass: A major step up compared to his performance against Virginia, Daniel Jones completed 22-of-35 passes for 204 yards. Although he was more accurate, he wasn't much better at creating explosive plays—he had just one 57-yard connection with T.J. Rahming. Running back Shaun Wilson also got a chance to throw it on a trick play, but was intercepted. 

Rush: In limited opportunities, Duke’s run game was solid, gaining 111 yards on 4.4 yards per carry. Wilson led the team with 13 carries for 66 yards. Brittain Brown also had a solid performance with 6 carries for 43 yards, including a nine-yard run for Duke’s lone touchdown of the game. 

X’s and O’s: While Duke was able to tie up the game, the inconsistency in the run and pass game and Florida State's methodical offense only created two red zone opportunities. Despite converting both red zone attempts into points, Duke’s inability to produce meaningful drives cost them the game, although the offense as a whole was more smooth than it was against Virginia. 

Defense: B-

Pass: Duke had a solid performance against the pass game, only just 197 yards and picking off  true freshman quarterback James Blackman twice—including one interception by Jeremy McDuffie for 19 yards—his third this season. While the Blue Devils certainly limited Blackman's total yards, they didn't stop him from being efficient—he completed 18-of-21 pass attempts. Duke only yielded one passing touchdown, but had difficulty shutting down Nyqwan Murray, who had 5 receptions for 81 yards.  

Rush: The Blue Devils could not contain the Florida State's run game, allowing 228 yards, led by Cam Akers' 15 carries for 115 yards, including a 42-yard touchdown. Fellow back Jacques Patrick also added 18 carries for 98 yards. This was an uncharacteristically bad showing for Duke's front seven, which was No. 7 in the nation in rushing defense before Saturday. 

X’s and O’s: The Blue Devil’s were able to limit the big pass plays that hurt them against Miami, a continuation on their improvement against Virginia. But the defense’s inability to stop the run game, allowing the most rushing yards since Miami had 139 in a 31-6 blowout loss, kept the Seminole offense on the field and wore Duke down.  

Special Teams: B+

As a punter, Austin Parker had a great performance, with five punts with an average of 46.2 yards per punt. Additionally, he made his lone field goal and extra point chances. 

The return game was especially quiet against Florida State, with no punt returns and a lone kick return by Shaun Wilson for 16 yards. The Seminoles returned one punt for two yards and one kick for 13 yards. 

Share and discuss “Making the grade: Duke football vs. Florida State” on social media.