Junior Bobby Menges died Friday morning in his home in Westbury N.Y., according to a post from Menges’ mother on Facebook. 

A member of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, Menges passed away from complications with cancer. 

“Sadly, Bobby died early this morning peacefully and at home with Pete and me by his side holding his hands. We are heartbroken,” wrote Menges’ mother, Liz, in a Facebook post. “He loved and cherished his family and friends and appreciated all of you.”

Menges had a primitive neuroectodermal tumor. He was first diagnosed with cancer when he was five years old and again when he was nine. 

Sophomore Patrick Bowers, who is a member of the fraternity, said the news of Menges' death was shocking. 

"It's been a very rough day," Bowers said. "He's been battling cancer his entire life, so for us it never seemed like a reality that one day it might take his life.... He was the most energetic ball of fun that anyone could meet."  

Pi Kappa Alpha hosted an event in March to raise funds for Duke’s adolescent and young adult oncology program in honor of Menges and senior Mark Schreiber, another Pi Kappa Alpha member diagnosed with brain cancer. 

Bowers said the fraternity is still deciding how it will memorialize Menges on campus. 

Sam Turken contributed reporting. 

Check back for updates to this developing story.