News | University

Corrected: Duke, Women's Center employee file motions to dismiss sexual assault lawsuit

Duke University and a Women's Center employee have filed motions to dismiss a lawsuit alleging that the employee, her partner and Duke University mishandled a graduate student’s claim that the partner sexually assaulted her.

The new motions argue that the graduate student’s original complaint fails to state any “credible claim” against the defendants, and that the complaint lacks specific details about how the defendants allegedly entered into an agreement to interfere with the sexual assault investigation. The employee’s partner filed a similar motion last week.

“[The] plaintiff did not allege interference with a constitutional right or facts from which one could reasonably infer acts of conspiracy participated in by Duke,” reads the University’s motion, filed by attorneys Dan Hartzog and Katherine Barber-Jones.

The Women’s Center employee and the University were required to file their response to the original complaint by August 3.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, declined to comment.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Correction: A previous headline of this story stated that the Women's Center, rather than a Women's Center employee, filed the motion. The Chronicle regrets the error. 

Comments