Duke sued for allegedly mishandling rape allegations against live-in partner of Women's Center employee

<p>The lawsuit claims that the alleged rapist was able to access the student's information through the Women's Center employee.</p>

The lawsuit claims that the alleged rapist was able to access the student's information through the Women's Center employee.

A graduate student has sued Duke University for allegedly mishandling a rape allegation she reported against the live-in partner of a Women’s Center employee.

The Women’s Center employee and the live-in partner are also defendants in the suit, which was originally filed in May. The complaint charges that the alleged rapist accessed the student’s information through the employee’s access privileges. Furthermore, the suit alleges the employee and the accused rapist conspired to “threaten, harass, intimidate and disparage” the graduate student in retaliation for filing the complaint and to prevent any further criminal investigation.

The Woman's Center employee didn't return The Chronicle's request for comment.

Specific complaints include that the University breached confidentiality about the student’s sexual assault allegation and that the University denied her access to counseling services and removed her from her curricular activities at Duke, allegedly placing her on academic probation.

The complaint lists several charges against the University, including interference with the student’s civil rights, breach of educational contract, unfair or deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence and negligent infliction of emotional distress.

Michael Schoenfeld, vice president for public affairs and government relations, declined to comment.

The suit requests a jury trial.

Check back for updates to this developing story.

Editor's note: This article was updated 11 a.m. Wednesday to include Schoenfeld's comment.

Share and discuss “Duke sued for allegedly mishandling rape allegations against live-in partner of Women's Center employee” on social media.