Report: Former Duke men's basketball standout Quinn Cook to sign 2-year deal with New Orleans Pelicans

<p>Quinn Cook will spend his next few years on an NBA roster if he continues performing well.&nbsp;</p>

Quinn Cook will spend his next few years on an NBA roster if he continues performing well. 

After toiling in the NBA D-League for almost two years hoping to get his shot at a stable contract with an NBA franchise, Quinn Cook's patience appears to be paying off.

The former Duke guard and 2015 national champion will sign a two-year contract through the end of the 2017-18 season with the New Orleans Pelicans once he finishes the regular season on two more 10-day contracts, ESPN's Chris Haynes reported Saturday morning. 

Cook has been playing sparingly for New Orleans since mid-March but had eight points and four assists in 24 minutes Friday in a loss to Denver.

The Washington native previously spent time with the Dallas Mavericks from Feb. 27 to March 7 on a 10-day contract before returning to the D-League's Canton Charge. The D-League Rookie of the Year in 2015-16, Cook was averaging 26.0 points and 6.7 assists in his second year in the D-League before earning his spot with the Pelicans.

New Orleans has long had a relationship with Cook, bringing him in before the season to compete for a roster spot. The fiery competitor's perseverance has paid off, and he will look to make himself a reliable bench performer in the years to come. 

Share and discuss “Report: Former Duke men's basketball standout Quinn Cook to sign 2-year deal with New Orleans Pelicans” on social media.