Planting the seed: Duke's possible ACC tournament positions

Five contests this weekend will determine the Blue Devils' starting position for next week's conference tournament

Update: This article has been updated following Virginia's 67-42 win against Pittsburgh, No. 8 Louisville's 71-64 against No. 19 Notre Dame, No. 15 Florida State's 66-57 win against No. 25 Miami and Wake Forest's 89-84 win against Virginia Tech Saturday.

With just one game remaining in Duke's regular season, the Blue Devils' spot in the ACC standings is still up in the air. No. 5 North Carolina has already clinched the top seed in next week's conference tournament at the Barclays Center in New York, but Duke still has not locked up a double bye.

After the rest of Saturday's action in the ACC, the Blue Devils have narrowed their possible seeding positions to Nos. 4 or 5 with a win or loss in Chapel Hill. 

If Duke wins, the Blue Devils would play Notre Dame, Clemson or N.C. State Thursday at 2:30 in the ACC quarterfinals. If Duke loses, it would play Clemson or N.C. State Wednesday at 2:30.

We break down how both scenarios would play out.

Note: In all win-loss scenarios, only the home team is referenced—for example, if Louisville wins, then a Notre Dame loss is implied.

Duke as the No. 4 seed
  • Duke wins.
    • Florida State 3-2, Duke and Louisville 2-2, Notre Dame 2-3 in four-way tie at 12-6 for seeds 2-5, Duke loses head-to-head tiebreaker with Louisville for the No. 3 seed.
Duke as the No. 5 seed
  • Duke loses.
    • Florida State, Notre Dame and Louisville with 6 losses (seeds 2-4)
    • Virginia Tech and Miami with 8 losses (seeds 7-8)
    • Duke wins the head-to-head tiebreaker at 11-7 with Virginia (seeds 5-6)

Mitchell Gladstone | Sports Managing Editor

Twitter: @mpgladstone13

A junior from just outside Philadelphia, Mitchell is probably reminding you how the Eagles won the Super Bowl this year and that the Phillies are definitely on the rebound. Outside of The Chronicle, he majors in Economics, minors in Statistics and is working toward the PJMS certificate, in addition to playing trombone in the Duke University Marching Band. And if you're getting him a sandwich with beef and cheese outside the state of Pennsylvania, you best not call it a "Philly cheesesteak." 

Share and discuss “Planting the seed: Duke's possible ACC tournament positions” on social media.