Jayson Tatum declares for NBA Draft

<p>Jayson Tatum became the third Blue Devil freshman during head coach Mike Krzyzewski's tenure&nbsp;ever to average at least&nbsp;15 points and seven rebounds per game.&nbsp;</p>

Jayson Tatum became the third Blue Devil freshman during head coach Mike Krzyzewski's tenure ever to average at least 15 points and seven rebounds per game. 

Following an abrupt end to Duke's season with Sunday's stunning second-round loss to South Carolina, the Blue Devils' offseason began with news that has become familiar to Duke fans. 

Freshman Jayson Tatum announced his decision to forgo his three remaining years of eligibility and declare for the NBA Draft Wednesday afternoon. Tatum becomes the seventh player in the past six years to leave Durham after his freshman season. The team announced the decision on Twitter and in a press release.

Tatum's season got off to a shaky start when the freshman went down with a left foot sprain during Duke's pro day with NBA scouts Oct. 26. After making his college debut against Maine in the beginning of December, Tatum worked to shake off the rust and acclimate to the speed and physicality of the college game. 

The St. Louis native's play took off during the Blue Devils' seven-game winning streak in ACC play as Tatum starred in wins against Notre Dame, North Carolina and Virginia. But the freshman raised his game another notch during Duke's run at the ACC tournament, averaging 22.0 points and 7.5 rebounds per game. 

He finished the season averaging 16.8 points and 7.3 rebounds per contest, joining Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor as the only freshman during head coach Mike Krzyzewski's tenure to put up at least 16 points and seven rebounds per contest. 

Tatum is projected to join Brandon Ingram, Okafor, Parker and Kyrie Irving as Blue Devil freshman selected near the top of the NBA draft. With the versatility to play both the three and the four positions at the next level and an improving jump shot, he projects to be a potential franchise cornerstone in the NBA. 

“I’m excited to take the next step in pursuing my lifelong dream of playing basketball at the highest possible level,” Tatum said in the release. “With that said, I’ve loved my time at Duke. The brotherhood is a real thing and I’ll always be part of the bond between former, current and future Duke players. I want to thank my teammates, coaches, family and friends for the unwavering support I’ve received as I pursue my dream.”

Share and discuss “Jayson Tatum declares for NBA Draft” on social media.