Jay Williams becomes sixth Blue Devil named to National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame

<p>Jay Williams (right) led the Blue Devils on one of the most dominant NCAA tournament runs ever in 2001.</p>

Jay Williams (right) led the Blue Devils on one of the most dominant NCAA tournament runs ever in 2001.

Former Duke star Jay Williams has drawn praise most recently for his memoir "Life Is Not An Accident," but he is also still being recognized for his on-court achievements.

The former national champion became the sixth Blue Devil to earn induction into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame Wednesday, joining head coach Mike Krzyzewski (2006), Vic Bubas (2007), Dick Groat (2007), Christian Laettner (2010) and Grant Hill (2014). The collegiate hall of fame started inducting members in 2006. 

A three-year starter, Williams captured a national championship in 2001, helping the Blue Devils win each NCAA tournament game by at least 10 points and ending the campaign averaging 21.6 points per contest. He finished his career with a 95-13 record after capturing National player of the Year honors in 2002. 

The Plainfield, N.J., native authored one of the most iconic moments in program history with the "Miracle Minute" at Maryland in 2001—Duke overcame a 10-point deficit in the final minute of regulation to win in overtime—and his 6.0 assists and 2.2 steals per contest are the second-highest totals for any Blue Devil player. 

Williams was drafted second overall in the 2002 NBA Draft before a motorcycle accident ended his career. He currently works as a college basketball analyst for ESPN and "College Gameday" personality. 

Other members of this year's class include former Wake Forest and San Antonio Spurs star Tim Duncan, former Wisconsin head coach Bo Ryan and legendary point guard John Stockton. They will be inducted at a ceremony in Kansas City Nov. 19. 

Share and discuss “Jay Williams becomes sixth Blue Devil named to National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame” on social media.