2017 NCAA tournament preview: Winthrop

Winthrop Eagles: 26-6, 15-3 in the Big South Conference

Head coach: Pat Kelsey (5th season)

Players to watch: Keon Johnson (22.5 PPG); Xavier Cooks (16.3 PPG, 9.2 RPG); Anders Broman (8.3 PPG, 42.8 3PT%)

Season recap: Once a frequent mid-major in the field of 64, Winthrop will make its first appearance in Kelsey’s reign in Rock Hill, S.C. The Eagles ran through the Big South with ease en route to the conference championship with a victory against Campbell.

Winthrop faltered early in the season, starting 4-3 before winning 22 of its final 25 games. In their only two games against major conference opponents, the Eagles fell to Florida State 100-86 on Nov 18., but bounced back three days later to take down Illinois 84-80 in overtime behind an explosive 38-point performance from Keon Johnson.

After a few tough losses, the Eagles rode their prolific offense and sturdy 3-point defense to lock down teams on the perimeter, ranking 20th in the nation in 3-point defense. Outside of Johnson and Xavier Cooks, the Eagles use a deep rotation—eight players saw more than 14 minutes of action per game this season. Johnson is a legitimate scoring threat from beyond the arc, where he shoots at a 40.4 percent clip, and Cooks' 6-foot-8 frame provides the Eagles with a more physical guard that can crash the boards. Andres Broman can also provide lightning in a bottle at times with strong 3-point shooting off the bench.

How they make a run: Led by Johnson, Winthrop rides hot perimeter shooting to a first-weekend surprise.

How they falter: Without a true post presence, the undersized Eagles struggle to compete in the paint with their opponents and get bounced in the first round.

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Winthrop” on social media.