2017 NCAA tournament preview: Southern California

Southern California Trojans: 24-9, 10-8 in the Pac-12 Conference

Head coach: Andy Enfield (4th season)

Players to watch: Bennie Boatwright (14.6 PPG); Chimezie Metu (14.5 PPG, 7.8 RPG, 1.5 BPG); Jordan McLaughlin (13.1 PPG, 5.5 APG)

Season recap: During Enfield's tenure, the Trojans have continued to rise from finishing last in the conference two years ago—earning a second consecutive tournament bid. Southern California's balanced offense that features six players averaging at least seven points per game and four double-figure scorers led it to an undefeated mark in nonconference play highlighted by a win against Southern Methodist and a fifth-place finish in the Pac-12. The Trojans thrive on strong ball movement—USC ranks third in its conference in assists and 23rd in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio, facilitated by a silky-smooth passer in Jordan McLaughlin.

But the Trojans' merely passable defense prevented USC from taking it to the next level in the deep Pac-12, leading to just one win against a ranked team as the Trojans gave up 83.0 points per game in those contests. USC did knock off Lonzo Ball and then-No. 8 UCLA at home Jan. 25, but lost all but one of its other games against top-25 teams by double digits. The Trojans enter the tournament having dropping five of their last eight games.

How they make a run: USC’s defense tightens up as its offense limits mistakes—strong performances from forwards Bennie Boatwright and Chimezie Metu carry the Trojans past the play-in round and to an upset of Southern Methodist.

How they falter: The team's defense once again comes back to bite it against top competition, leading to another early exit.

Ben Leonard profile
Ben Leonard

Managing Editor 2018-19, 2019-2020 Features & Investigations Editor 

A member of the class of 2020 hailing from San Mateo, Calif., Ben is The Chronicle's Towerview Editor and Investigations Editor. Outside of the Chronicle, he is a public policy major working towards a journalism certificate, has interned at the Tampa Bay Times and NBC News and frequents Pitchforks. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Southern California” on social media.