2017 NCAA tournament preview: North Dakota

North Dakota Fighting Hawks: 22-9, 14-4 in the Big Sky

Head coach: Brian Jones (10th season)

Players to watch: Quinton Hooker (19.1 PPG, 43.6 3PT%); Geno Crandall (15.6 PPG, 4.3 APG); Drick Bernstine (7.9 PPG, 7.2 RPG)

Season recap: The Fighting Hawks' run to their debut showing at the Big Dance has been by far their best in head coach Brian Jones’ tenure. It was not all smooth sailing, however, especially in the early part of the season. Despite senior guard Quinton Hooker consistently putting up big numbers, North Dakota started the season just 5-6 as the rest of the Fighting Hawk offense was unable to support the first-team All-Big Sky performer. 

However, after winter break, a switch flipped in North Dakota that lasted until the end of conference play.

Sophomore guard Geno Crandall stepped up throughout 2017, averaging 16.7 points per game at a deadly efficient 55.0 field goal percentage. With Crandall finally giving the Fighting Hawks more than one consistent scorer, North Dakota began to ease through Big Sky opposition. Although they dropped close contests against Northern Arizona and Sacramento State, the Fighting Hawks strung together a 14-4 conference record to land them the top seed in the Big Sky tournament.

Despite Hooker's subpar performances in the quarterfinal game against Portland State and the semifinal against Idaho, the rest of the Fighting Hawks were able to fill out the scoresheet. Notably, Crandall and senior guard Corey Baldwin averaged 16.0 and 14.7 points per game, respectively, throughout the tournament. A monster 28-point game from Hooker against Weber State clinched the tournament for the Fighting Hawks, sending them to the Big Dance for the first time in program history.

How they make a run: Hooker stays dangerous as the rest of North Dakota’s offense complements its star, allowing the Fighting Hawks to hang with their first-round opponent for a half. 

How they falter: With North Dakota's role players unable to give Hooker enough support, the No. 15 seed Fighting Hawks get torched in their first time in the national spotlight. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: North Dakota” on social media.