2017 NCAA tournament preview: New Mexico State

New Mexico State Aggies: 28-5, 11-3 WAC

Head coach: Paul Weir (1st season)

Key players: Ian Baker (16.6 PPG, 4.1 APG); Braxton Huggins (13.6 PPG, 42.2 3PT%); Eli Chuha (12.4 PPG, 9.0 RPG)

Season recap: Following a run of four NCAA tournament appearances in five years, Aggie head coach Marvin Menzies was hired by UNLV, leading New Mexico State to promote his longtime assistant Paul Weir. The Aggies did not miss a beat to start the season, though, winning nonconference games against Arizona State and New Mexico. This momentum continued into WAC play, as they ripped off nine straight wins to begin their conference slate. Although New Mexico State dropped three of four during the main rough patch of its season, the Aggies bounced back by winning five straight and upsetting CSU Bakersfield in the conference tournament to return to the 68-team field. 

The Aggies have a high powered offensive attack that averages 78.9 points per game led by senior point guard Ian Baker. The veteran is capable of penetrating to the basket to collapse opposing defenses, then distributing to his teammates for easy buckets, and has not missed a beat even with backcourt mate Sidy Ndir out for the year with a foot injury. However, like many non-Power-5 conference teams, New Mexico State relies on dribble penetration to fuel its offense, meaning it can go long stretches without scoring if its guards go cold. 

How they make a run: The Aggies get hot from the outside, rendering their interior weaknesses moot. Baker continues to be a commanding presence on the floor and redshirt sophomore Eli Chuha takes his game to another level to control the glass.

How they falter: Baylor star Johnathan Motley and company pound the ball inside, getting Chuha in foul trouble and living in the paint to send New Mexico State packing. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: New Mexico State” on social media.