2017 NCAA tournament preview: Kent State

Kent State Golden Flashes: 22-13, 10-8 in the MAC

Head coach: Rob Senderoff (6th season)

Players to watch: Jimmy Hall (18.9 PPG, 10.5 RPG), Jaylin Walker (15.6 PPG, 4.3 RPG), Deon Edwin (13.0 PPG, 5.6 RPG)

Season recap: Kent State had a heartbreaking end to the 2015-16 season, getting upset in the first round of the MAC tournament on two free throws with one second left. The Golden Flashes were up and down in nonconference play this year, securing a signature victory at Texas but losing to Northeastern and Wright State. They also started MAC play slow, with four losses in their first five games. 

However, Kent State turned things around and finished strong, winning five out of their last six regular-season contests to build momentum heading into the season. The Golden Flashes then lived on the edge in the MAC tournament, winning four straight—including three straight upsets of higher-seeded teams—to punch their ticket to the Big Dance. 

Kent State relies heavily upon the inside-outside duo of redshirt-senior Jimmy Hall and sophomore Jaylin Walker. Those two combine for more than 34 points and almost 15 rebounds per game, giving the Golden Flashes a formidable advantage on the boards despite their lack of size around Hall. Kent State outrebounds opponents by an average of 6.0 rebounds per game, holding second-chance opportunities to a minimum and taking advantage of long rebounds on the other end.

How they make a run: Kent State continues spreading the court and making hustle plays to stay close to national title contender UCLA, and the Golden Flashes' leading trio gets hot to pull a shocking upset. 

How they falter: Kent State's lack of size plays right into UCLA's hands, as the Bruins use their high-powered offense to roll over the Golden Flashes with dribble penetration and feeds to T.J. Leaf and Thomas Welsh. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Kent State” on social media.