2017 NCAA tournament preview: Florida Gulf Coast

Florida Gulf Coast Eagles: 26-7, 12-2 in the Atlantic Sun

Head coach: Joe Dooley (4th season)

Players to watch: Brandon Goodwin (18.2 PPG, 36.3 3PT%); Demetris Morant (10.7 PPG, 8.0 RPG); Zach Johnson (11.8 PPG, 3.0 APG)

Season recap: For the third time in five years, Florida Gulf Coast is heading to the Big Dance. Although the Eagles may not have the talent of the "Dunk City" squad that stole the national spotlight in 2013, Florida Gulf Coast enters the tournament on a seven-game win streak and has shown the ability to play up to its competition. The Eagles lost by only nine against Baylor in the Battle of Atlantis and nearly toppled Michigan State on the road in a game that ended in controversy. 

Florida Gulf Coast was dominant in conference play with an unblemished record outside of tight losses to USC Upstate and Lipscomb. The Eagles skated through the first two games of the Atlantic Sun tournament relatively easily before being forced to make a second-half comeback against Northern Florida in the championship game. Goodwin was the difference-maker for Florida Gulf Coast in the clincher, scoring 14 second-half points as the Eagles earned back-to-back conference titles. 

How they make a run: Unlike other mid-majors, Florida Gulf Coast has the athleticism to match up with some of the better teams in the nation. The Eagles have had past tournament success and could put a scare into their first-round opponent this March as well. 

How they falter: Outside of its two November games in Atlantis, Florida Gulf Coast has not been challenged much this season. If the Eagles fall behind early, one has to wonder how deep Florida Gulf Coast can dig to mount an upset. 

Share and discuss “2017 NCAA tournament preview: Florida Gulf Coast” on social media.