2017 ACC tournament preview: Wake Forest

<p>First-team All-ACC forward John Collins established himself as one of the nation's top offensive big men this season.&nbsp;</p>

First-team All-ACC forward John Collins established himself as one of the nation's top offensive big men this season. 

Wake Forest Demon Deacons: 18-12, 9-9 in the ACC

Head coach: Danny Manning (3rd season)

Players to watch: John Collins (19.1 PPG, 9.8 RPG); Bryant Crawford (15.8 PPG, 5.4 APG); Keyshawn Woods (12.8 PPG, 4.4 RPG)

Season recap: Wake Forest was one of the most improved teams in the ACC this season, going .500 in conference play a year after finishing 2-16. The Demon Deacons won three ACC road games after not winning any the two previous years and finished the regular season on a three-game winning streak, including a marquee win against then-No. 8 Louisville last Wednesday that helped solidify their NCAA tournament resume.

The primary reason for Wake Forest’s success has been the emergence of John Collins, a 6-foot-10 sophomore who shot an ACC-best 61.9 percent from the field and nearly averaged a double-double. The Demon Deacons spread the floor and surround Collins with an army of 3-point shooters, including Keyshawn Woods, who shot 47.0 percent from long range this season.

Sophomore Bryant Crawford also facilitates the team’s offense and the guard’s ability to attack the hoop has helped forwards Konstantinos Mitoglou and Austin Arians get good looks on the perimeter. That core has helped Wake Forest to the third-highest scoring offense in the ACC, though the Demon Deacons also own the third-worst scoring defense in the conference.

At least one team has reached 80 points in 12 of Wake Forest’s last 13 games, with the team playing a lot of entertaining, fast-paced shootouts. The Demon Deacons’ strong finish and nonconference strength of schedule should help its case to make the NCAA tournament, but a win or two in New York would likely lock up its first berth since 2010.

How they make a run: Collins—who was a first-team All-ACC selection Monday—continues to dominate like he has for the last month of the season, and Woods and Crawford make timely 3-pointers when the defense collapses to help the Demon Deacons win multiple games.

Share and discuss “2017 ACC tournament preview: Wake Forest” on social media.